4-H Club Fundraising and Community Service Guidance 10-2020
Ohio State Fair - Market Swine Must Be Ractopamine-Free
Because ractopamine has been banned in international markets, swine exhibited at the 2020 Ohio State Fair are required to be ractopamine-free. To ensure that exhibitors follow this protocol, the Ohio State Fair will secure a signed affidavit from a parent or legal guardian at the time of entry which states that the pigs exhibited by their showman have never been offered ractopamine. A sample affidavit developed by The Ohio State University can be found here: https://ohiopork.org/ractopamine-free/.
Pork Quality Assurance Certification - requirement for the 2020 Ohio State Fair
Parents/Guardians are required to be PQA certified for youth to exhibit market swine at the Ohio State Fair.
OSU Junior Swine Day
- Saturday, March 28, 2020 concurrently at OSU Columbus Animal Sciences and OSU ATI Wooster.
- Pork Quality Assurance will be offered at both sites. Informational flyer available here.
- Registration is $15 per person and must be made online by March 20th.
- There is no onsite registration. Please contact Dale for questions at 419-523-6294.
NEW in 2020 Ohio State Fair DNA Sample Collection Instructions
Ohio's Livestock Tampering Rules
Swine Information 2019
- Swine Health Recommendations - Biosecurity for Organizers of Weigh-in or Tagging Events
- Keep Your Pigs Healthy
- Swine Health Recommendations - Organizers of Exhibits and Sales
- Swine Health Recommendations - Exhibitors of All Pigs Going to Exhibits or Sales
Foreign Animal Disease (FAD)
Requirements of Livestock Projects for Exhibition in Ohio Fairs
Ohio State Fair Livestock Animal Owership Changes Announced for 2019
In order to be more consistent with statewide livestock exhibition ownership rules from the Ohio Department of Agriculture, the Ohio State Fair has modified ownership rules beginning with animals exhibited at the 2019 Ohio State Fair. Specifically, some market animals (swine, lambs, goats and poultry) will have ownership date changes.
To help prepare exhibitors for this change, a list of these modified rules are below.
Market animals – SOME CHANGED FOR 2019 OHIO STATE FAIR
- Market beef – January 1
- Market swine – May 26 (changed for 2019)
- Market lambs – May 26 (changed for 2019)
- Market goats – May 26 (changed for 2019)
- Market rabbits – June 1
- Market poultry – within 5 days of hatch (changed for 2019)
Breeding animals – dates have not changed for 2019
- Breeding beef – May 1
- Breeding swine – June 1
- Breeding sheep – June 1
- Breeding goats – June 1
- Breeding poultry – June 1
- Breeding rabbits – June 1
- Dairy cattle – June 1
4-H Awards List
Project Enrollment for 4-H and FFA Members Showing Animals at the Ohio State Fair
Pullorum Testing Rules
Sheep and Goat Scrapie Info
Minimizing Influenza Transmission during Exhibitions
Occasional Quantity Cooks Volunteer Training
- Directions for Occasional Quantity Cooks Volunteer Training
Veterinary Feed Directive Implemented 1-1-17
Ohio's Livestock Tampering Exhibition Rules
Outstanding Livestock Exhibitor Program (OLE) 2020
Hocking County Youth Board Grants Available
- Any youth organization in Hocking County is eligible to apply for these funds
- Information Letter
- Hocking County Youth Board Grant Application (Fillable PDF) or Word Document
- Please call Allen Fawley, 4-H Educator or Angelia Seum, 4-H Program Assitant at 740-385-3222 for additional information